The quilt sandwich – almost finished basting.
I’m being much more careful than usual because I know this is going to be tricky.
- Established that initial two-layer sandwich should be the interior cloth on the bottom, overlaid with one of the pieced cloths, right side facing up.
- First I had the smaller pieced cloth laid on the interior cloth. Then realized I should have the larger one there so I could see the edges of the smaller one when sewing. Started over.
- Spent a lot of time centering and smoothing the two initial layers. Nothing is “square” so this was a bit of a challenge.
- Basted the initial two layers all the way around.
- Then laid on the second pieced cloth, right side down. More centering and smoothing. Ensure the middle layer (pieced cloth) is visible all the way around.
- Baste down the top layer. I’m taking a lunch break in the middle of this.
- Rule: do not trim anything until I test turning it inside out and it looks right!